Wednesday 3 August 2011

Human nature

Lots of things been happening, and lots of times thoughts of blog posts have floated in & out of my consciousness.  At some point I might write a bit about marriage guidance counselling, the use of fear as a motivational force & other stuff.
But today I've been thinking about the human need for bad news, and for hearing about bad people.  I don't read the tabloids much, but from people who do I hear that single mums, asylum seekers, benefit scroungers etc are the scourge of modern society.   Some people I know have countless stories of feckless individuals, and to be honest the crime thrillers I read or watch on tv are full of evil, depraved inhuman people.  And yet clearly these people are a very small minority.  So why do we give them so much of our thought?  Is it fear;  relief that we haven't turned out like that; a fascination with a more thrilling if unpleasant side to life?
I don't like the idea of a feelgood media, & find things like that Esther Rantzen hearts of gold programme utterly turgid but I wish that there was a bit more focus on celebrating the fact that most of us are decent, hardworking, and not entirely perfect but doing our best.

No comments: